What is a Doula?
The word “Doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to an trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Why use a Doula?
Women have complex needs during childbirth and the weeks that follow. In addition to medical care and the love and companionship provided by their partners, women need consistent, continuous reassurance, comfort, encouragement and respect. They need individualized care based on their circumstances and preferences.
Numerous clinical studies have found that a Doula’s presence at birth:
- results in shorter labours with fewer complications
- reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
- reduces the need for pitocin (a labour-inducing drug), forceps, or vacuum extractions and cesareans
- reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
- feel more secure and cared for
- are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- have greater success breastfeeding
- have greater self confidence
- lessen the chances of experiencing postpartum depression
- have lower incidence of abuse
My role as your Doula
I draw on my knowledge, training and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and informational support. I will provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner, make suggestions as labour progresses, help with relaxation, massage, positions and other techniques for your comfort.
I am independent and self-employed. As your Doula, I am working for you, not your caregiver or hospital. I see us all working together as a team to help ensure the best birth outcomes and memories.
The majority of births I have been privileged to attend have been with couples. I like to reassure the partner that my role in no way takes away from or replaces the role of the partner. Rather, my presence allows the partner to be involved to his/her own level of comfort and participation at this most wonderful, amazing, miracle of the birth of your child.
Please contact me to arrange a free consultation to discuss availability, investment and to see how a Doula can add to your story.